perjantai 23. lokakuuta 2015

Recommended reading for new game designers


I have lately read two good books about game design. I would recommend them both for anyone who is new to the game design.
The first book that I would recommend to start with is Jess Schell’s The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses. This books covers very well the game design topic. The book also provides a so called lenses which are helpful for game designers. Basically the lenses are collections of questions that you can ask yourself to reflect your game design. You can get these lenses as an iOS or Android application, but without reading the book, you may miss the point behind them.
The second book that I recommend to read after the The Art of Game Design is Raph Koster’s A Theory of fun for game design. This book may not be as detailed and practical as the first one, but it has really good food for the thought. This book was really easy and light reading with nice colorful pictures. I would say this book was more fun to read, but I still recommend you to read the books in the same order I did.
However there are many books to the subject. If you know any other good books that you would recommend please do so on comments section.

Links to the books:
The art of game design: A book of lenses
A theory of fun for game design

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti